Sunday, December 7, 2008

Subterranean Press to reprint Caitlín R. Kiernan’s novella “Bradbury Weather

Bradbury Weather,” a novella set in an all-female Martian colony by award-winning science fiction and fantasy author Caitlín R. Kiernan and first published in Subterranean magazine issue #2 (2005), will be reprinted by Subterranean Press for Kiernan's forthcoming collection A is for Alien (Feb 2009).

Here’s how Kiernan described the inception of “Bradbury Weather” in an online journal entry from 2004:

“I finally began the new short story yesterday, the one for subpress. Because I like to have titles before I begin (though these titles are free to change should they need to do so), I spent about an hour deciding on "All Tomorrow's Parties." I "typed" it at the "top" of the "page." Perfect! I thought. And then I thought, uhm, wait. I called myself several unpleasant names, cursed William Gibson, erased the title and replaced it with "Bradbury Weather," which was my second choice. I did about 700 words in about three hours, much of which needs reworking today, but at least it's a start. I was relieved. This will be a story set on Mars, a couple hundred years or more from now. I've always wanted to write a story set on Mars, and now I will.”

Caitlín R. Kiernan maintains her own website and LiveJournal.

Pictured above: Subterranean #2, a copy of which is selling on AbeBooks for $170.

No comments: