Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Trio of Brits join cast of Hollywood's long-awaited John Carter of Mars film

The Hollywood Reporter reports that British actor Dominic West and actresses Samantha Morton and Polly Walker have joined the cast of the forthcoming Disney/Pixar film John Carter of Mars. West will play the role of Sab Than, prince of the Zodangans; Morton will play the role of Sola, the daughter of Tars Tarkas (played by actor Willem Dafoe); Walker will play Sarkoja, a tyrannical Thark.

The film, starring actor Taylor Kitsch as John Carter and actress
Lynn Collins as princess Dejah Thoris, is being directed by Hollywood director Andrew Stanton and is scheduled to land in theaters in 2012. John Carter of Mars is based on the science fiction novel A Princess of Mars (1912, 1917), written by pulp author Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Pictured: Polly Walker

1 comment:

Republibot 3.0 said...

I dunno. Aren't these books a bit...nakedy...for a Pixar flick? Yeah, yeah, I realize they'll just have everyone running around in loincloths and brass bikinis, but still, it all seems a bit lurid for their standards.

(Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I think it's great that a studio tries to stretch, and I'm super-looking forward to it. Just the more I think about it, the more I realize this is a curious choice to follow up "Up" and "Wall-E" with.)