Thursday, February 5, 2009

Aussiecon 4 interviews Kim Stanley Robinson

Nicole R. Murphy of Aussiecon 4, the 2010 World Science Fiction Convention, recently interviewed author Kim Stanley Robinson, who was kind enough to provide some insight into his writing, environmental concerns, and thoughts about Worldcons. Here’s an excerpt from the interview:
Nicole R. Murphy: A lot of people are very excited by the notion of the mini-series of Red Mars. How involved are you in the project, and how do you feel about with putting on a screen something that has existed only in people’s imaginations until now?

Kim Stanley Robinson: The AMC cable channel has a team of people working on the project; I am not one of them, nor do I want to be, but my agents are, and they keep me informed. We have a certain amount of input. But they are still involved with the screenplay writer, so it is at a very early stage. I have ambivalent feelings about any film projects from my work, because as your question notes, it changes things, and sometimes not in a good way. But the books remain no matter what, so mostly I think it's a good idea to film them, as it would bring more readers to the books, and more money to the bank account.
Aussiecon 4 will be held in Melbourne, Australia in September 2010. Kim Stanley Robinson is the Guest of Honor.

No comments: