Friday, September 26, 2008

Update on Pixar's John Carter of Mars Film

SCI FI Wire has the latest news on the production of John Carter of Mars, a film by Pixar based on the swashbuckling character in Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom series of science fiction novels. Here are some quotes from the latest chapter in the saga of trying to bring John Carter to the big screen:

Andrew Stanton, writer and director at Pixar: "I'm going to do what I remember more than what they exactly do" in the Burroughs books.

Jim Morris, general manager at Pixar: "Everything that's been out there has been an attempt to kind of capture this Deco-esque Frazetta vision of John Carter, which I think feels old and stale ... And where Stanton is going ... is very different than that. And I think that the people who really love the essence of the books will really dig it, but so will audiences in general."

Jim Morris: “I'm sure I speak for all of the science fiction geeks, fans and aficionados when I say it's finally time to see that movie. And I, for one, am delighted that Andrew Stanton is the guy that's making the movie, because he's a story-driven guy."

Visit the John Carter of Mars Movie Unofficial Fan Website for more information about the film, which is scheduled to be released in 2012.

Pictured above: John Carter and Dejah Thoris, as depicted by artist Frank Frazetta. Old and stale?

No comments: